That Asian Thing Website

Welcome to "That Asian Thing" News! Check here often to find out what's going on with the documentary, production notes, ideas, viewings, and random thought releases from the director. Don't forget to click on the links to find other realms of "That Asian Thing." Thank you for coming and keep up the support!

"Those Asian Goodies"


**click on the shirts**

Yahoo Listserv

Subscribe to thatasianthing
Powered by movies.groups.yahoo.com

October 20, 2005

Chinatown

Today, me and Wayne the Cameraman went to China Town. Now, China Town Chicago is nothing compared to China Town New York and China Town Philly..but nonetheless, it's still China Town! China Town- a small mecca of Chinese restaurants, shops, and museums. What a place to interview people concerning Asian American awareness...and that we did! We got some footage of the town and as we walked up and down the blocks, we stopped a few people here and there.

Now, I don't want to get too technical, but everytime I asked people if they could name famous Asian Americans -- they actually named famous Asians who have broken through in America (ex. Jet Li, Chow Yun Fat, etc.) rather than Asian Americans. (IT'S OKAY though cause this is a study and this is what we like to see...initial human behavior and reaction). However, it still rang true to most people that I've interviewed -- there just isn't that many to name. Once you get past the Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) and Lucy Liu, you get a little stuck for awhile. Interesting....

THE WRITING PROJECT:


--as far the sketch revue is concerned, I've been brainstorming with things here and there. I have ideas for sketches already, but I'm building up the stereotype bank so that I don't repeat jokes throughout the show. I'm trying to get an hours worth of material here. I can do it though...and it's gonna be frickin good man! NO DOUBT!

IN THE MIX:

--still workin with trying to get Rev. Jackson to speak about Asian American diversity. PLEASE HELP A BROTHA OUT, REV. JACKSON!!

--I've gotten responses to my craigslist ad asking for 100% Asian Americans who have been going to auditions and trying to break into "the business." Just waiting for a few more responses before I initiate interviews and closer insight.

--I need to email some theaters around the area and get into Asian American rock bands. I got hip hop heads covered...but where are the rock bands man?!?

--Harold, Kumar, Mr. Miyagi, Sandra OH...where ya at?! That Asian Thing is looking for you..........

No comments: