That Asian Thing Website

Welcome to "That Asian Thing" News! Check here often to find out what's going on with the documentary, production notes, ideas, viewings, and random thought releases from the director. Don't forget to click on the links to find other realms of "That Asian Thing." Thank you for coming and keep up the support!

"Those Asian Goodies"


**click on the shirts**

Yahoo Listserv

Subscribe to thatasianthing
Powered by movies.groups.yahoo.com

October 25, 2005

Chugging through....

Of late, I've been doing more research and emailing than physical interviewing. This is because you need to set things up before making moves. I've been contemplating this and figured that I don't want to create one of those documentaries where I instigate people and portray them in a wrong way. SURE, people do bad things in the world, but again, they also do good things and depending on what I show the people, that's how they'll get portrayed. This documentary is like a live essay paper that may or may not figure out why there's some sort of block in the road for Asian Americans. I mean -- we make good music, we can act (uh...some of us...), we can write (...I know I can!), and yet we're still no more than a small speckle in America's mainstream. I'm beginning to venture into an intellectual aspect to this documentary -- identity. Do we stick out far enough to even be recognized as our own people in the mainstream? It's all very interesting actually...

Another aspect that people have thrown my way through email are Indian Asian Americans (Hindu, Pakistani, etc.). Most of the surveys that I've collected have only given input with East Asian American stereotypes, but to some (and associated with college Asian Coalitions) the Indians have been regarded as Asian American as well. I think I want to dip into this thought and associate it with the problem of identity. Read this article on "Who is exactly Asian American?"

Getting into the Hindi scene and mixing with my question of mainstream culture -- I've begun to read up on Bollywood. This is the Indian film industry's push on their format of film (which involves some sort of love story and some singing). With a force like Bollywood, it's actually a wonder why one of their numerous films hasn't made it unto the big screen. At least one of them has to appeal to the masses...no? I personally haven't seen one, so I may be assuming...but it's optomistic assumption!

WHAT WE GOT GOING:


--sent out numerous surveys to random collegiate organizations. HOLLA OUT -- Rutgers University (my alma mater), NYU, and UCLA!! I'm slowly going to hit up this damn nation and get this word out. NO DOUBT! i AM a force to be wreckin wit, sucka...

--got the Pacifics interview. werd...

--doing some production purchases. we need better mics and some camera to computer cables. i'm looking into editorial software. but this is way early...right now, we need to just get as much footage as we can.

--inquiries on the way out to high school organizations, more actors/musical groups, and college/university professors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In regards to Bollywood in America, there has been at least one movie which came out about a year ago and got some critical attention. Not sure just how well it did in the box office and doubt it was too successful, at least relatively. I think this is mostly in part to expectations of the American audience who in general have little understanding and apprectiation of foreign cultures and their arts. When a foreign film does appeal to Americans, it's usually one heavy on martial arts, and a little a glimpse but romanticized aspect of the culture.