That Asian Thing Website

Welcome to "That Asian Thing" News! Check here often to find out what's going on with the documentary, production notes, ideas, viewings, and random thought releases from the director. Don't forget to click on the links to find other realms of "That Asian Thing." Thank you for coming and keep up the support!

"Those Asian Goodies"


**click on the shirts**

Yahoo Listserv

Subscribe to thatasianthing
Powered by movies.groups.yahoo.com

November 04, 2007

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Good evening Boys & Girls-

So where do I begin this story of the long lost Jonald and the new sighting for that infamous "Asian Thing" documentary?

WELL - I guess I can start from "Whatever happen to this thing being done over the summer??"

Honestly, it just didn't pan out that way. The reason - I had to step away from this project for a couple of months. I hope some artists know where I'm coming from and maybe this is an inhabited reflex from my writer's mentality, but when you're in the thick of a project for so long, you need to step away for a fresh look. You need to come back to the project with new eyes, or else whatever it is you do or however about you continue the project may seem forced. I was so enthralled in this film that every piece of footage that I would watch would begin to be repeition of the last one. Everything seemed the same to me and when I would try to keep editing, I my interest would want to do other projects. And thus, within that break, I worked on a couple of side projects here and there. If you check out my youtube page (http://www.youtube.com/user/asianthing), you'll see a couple of outside clips. I worked on my cousin's wedding slideshow (which was a lot of fun and great practice for my editing skills). Through the help of Eric Byler, I was able to get involved with the Naisy Dolar campaign. I went to a couple of events and filmed for Mr. Byler's needs, as well as practice for my filmmaker's eye. Therefore, in essence, my time off from the project helped me get better with the craft. I never went to school for filmmaking. I just went to Rutgers for Cinema Studies. Doing is way different from interpreting.

After my excursion, I dwelved deep into my computer and edited, and edited, and edited. Literally missing out of some social events, family get togethers, and random relaxing moments, but this made me concentrate even more. Obviously this sort of long term project cames with the naysayers that don't believe that you're even working on it. "Man - just give up. You're not gonna finish it." But that slap in the face only adds more fuel to the fire. I can only hope that those people endure a similar project sometime in their life to understand that a sense of quality takes time. Quickness does not equal quality.

With this - I'd like to apologize for becoming M.I.A. to all the people that have sent me emails, myspace messages, or even random texts on when this project will be done. After awhile, I actually didn't want to give an estimated date because I didn't want to keep hopes up too high. I didn't want to be "that guy" that would talk some talk and not be able to provide the walk. So I'm sorry if you've inquired to me or if I've left you hanging or if you've checked the blog and noticed that nothing has changed for so long. MY BAD Y'ALL! My bad.....

BUT NOW WE'RE BACK! This movie is at 85% completion. Right now, I'm cleaning up the sound and doing up the credits. I've already set-up a PRIVATE viewing for the cast and crew of the documentary to watch at a disclosed theater. PRIVATE = no publicity, no reviews from outsiders, and no one that I don't know. But why, Jonald, why?? As this is my first documentary and working with so many talented and acknowledged performers/artists/professors, I didn't want them to wait for me to get accepted into a film festival for them to watch the film. Also - it just wouldn't feel right preaching about this film as a "combined voice of Chicago's Asian-American artists" without getting their consent and approval. Although I am the one with the power here and the trust of these people, I would feel better knowing that they watched it and gave me feedback before releasing it to the public. It's basic "peer reviewing peer" process. Nothing to it. I also owe a private viewing to my generous donators and pro bono advisors. So many people have helped me with no compensation and this is a bonus to them. Thanks everyone!

After this viewing and cleaning up some good feedback, I plan on entering film festivals. Through the magical portal of the internet, I'll be using withoutabox (http://www.withoutabox.com/) as my tool to enter these competitions. I'll also follow-up with people that I've sent surveys out to in the past, as well as new Asian-American organizations that I haven't tapped into. Hyping this film up is the most important thing on getting some recognition.

I've already set-up a free viewing with my cousin who goes to the University of Florida. I should be attending the viewing to do a Q&A segment afterwards. This will take place in March as part of their Asian-American Month festivities. Please check our withoutabox/myspace/facebook profiles for up and coming viewings. May not be too big of a list right now, but that's something that I'm working on right now.

AND as an incentive for waiting so long, if you're our friend on myspace, you'll be able to view screenshots of the film. Here are a couple to tickle yer fancy. WOO HOO!! I should have a new trailer on here soooooooon enough! Thank ya, thank ya, thank ya....





No comments: