That Asian Thing Website

Welcome to "That Asian Thing" News! Check here often to find out what's going on with the documentary, production notes, ideas, viewings, and random thought releases from the director. Don't forget to click on the links to find other realms of "That Asian Thing." Thank you for coming and keep up the support!

"Those Asian Goodies"


**click on the shirts**

Yahoo Listserv

Subscribe to thatasianthing
Powered by movies.groups.yahoo.com

June 09, 2006

It's getting hectic now....

One thing that most young filmmakers can probably tell you is how important it is to network. Network, network, network! It's all about building relationships with people who are in the same arena as you. For me, personally, it's about making new friends that can relate to what you're going through or know what kind of situation you're in and how they overcame it. This, my friends, always is a good thing. Now I'm a neophyte to this film world but I am laying my cards out with no fear - spearheading and learning the ins and outs as I go along - so I have yet to meet any of the "bad" people. However, I have always been a people person and a good judge at interpreting character traits (it comes with being a writer because you're an intricate observer of human detail), so I will say that the people that I've worked with on/for my film have been nothing but good.

Going with that, recently I went to watch some Asian American musicians at Gunther Murphy's. I met Carly Oishi, Kris Racer, and soon to be interviewed, Jon Monteverde. Jon, a.k.a. xyzr_kx, was a hoot to talk to cause he's a filmmaker as well (check out the link and see his short films/videos).


I appreciated how he knew the stuff I'm currently going through. I also picked up his current CD which is really vibrant and colorful. I dig the electronica sound and reminds me of Sean Lennon and later Radiohead stuff.


Connecting through Jon, I'm in the midst of getting an interview with the head of his record label - Actually, Records. I'm hoping Chien can give "That Asian Thing" more insight on the music scene as a business and if Asian Americans aren't getting their props because of higher management reasons. But going back to Gunther - I also talked to Carly Oishi who's still pretty new to the singing game. She had a nice, following of people coming out to see her sing. Her presence on the stage was delightful as she came off as honest and soothing. We're in cahoots to get her thoughts on film.

By coincidence, I ran into other active Asian Americans. Tim Hugh of the Asian American Film Showcase and Cynthia Lin. Tim always has the inside track on what's going on with Asian American films. It's great to hear what's up and coming, since I don't have time to catch up on the internet myself. He also previews them, so I get that indepth thought about how the film is. So that's always good.

Cynthia Lin told me about a future performance and so the following Thursday, I ventured out during lunch hour to see her perform at the Randolph Cultural Center. First off - what a beautiful venue and what a great time to play. People are on their lunch breaks and while passing by, can catch a show if interested. Anyhoo - Cynthia performed with a backup singer and cellist. All I can say is - WOW - great accompaniment. AND, BONUS - I brought my camera to grab footage. It was a great performance and hope to have that footage edited up soon for Cynthia's use.

Thanks to everyone for taking time out to talk. I always do appreciate the looking out!

THAT ASIAN THING SHOWCASE:

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12, 2006 @ 7 P.M. - BE THERE!

Looks like we're solidifying a talent showcase here, featuring artists from "That Asian Thing" documentary. On board we got: SOTO (Sons of the Orient), Stephen Munoz, and IBU. Thanks to the manager of IBU, Glenn Bermejo, for all his work, advice, and cooperation. This might not be coming about if Glenn weren't there with his know hows.

SOTO - there's a little history with this group. My cousin, Jesch, is part of this former group. When I was younger, Jesch was "thee singer" of the family. I'm sure he was heavily influenced and nurtured by his parents who are avid music people (minus one, karaoke, dance classes, you name it, etc., etc.). I can remember seeing old VHS tapes of him singing or performing whenever we (my family) would visit his in Jacksonville, FL. When he got older, he teamed up with his friends and when he got even more older, they became SOTO.This was during the later 90's and into the 2000. They met and worked with Duron Jones of 112. I was pretty ecstatic about my cousin pursuing his dream. The family supported him as much as possible. When they released their single, Crazy - I must've bought 10 copies myself. But after awhile, things just weren't happening and I remember Jesch telling me how difficult it was financially. I can currently relate now as this film project eats up half of my paycheck while the other half goes towards living. We were proud (and still are), however our help was big enough as they guys just didn't seemed to get picked up by mainstream America. AHA - doesn't it sound like a great subject for "That Asian Thing?" Therefore, through the cooperation of the guys, this Showcase has the previlege of featuring their possibly one-time REUNION SHOW! WOO HOO! They haven't performed on stage with each other in probably 3 or 4 years. So I encourage you to check out their myspace and then they're live act.

Thanks to Stephen Munoz and IBU for their support. We're still looking for one more musical act to diversify the Showcase card. Update should follow. Please keep your calender clear for that day and a promotional flurry should be coming your way soon enough.

MORE THANKS:

- Czerina Salud. For giving "That Asian Thing" props on her website. Looking forward to meeting her and getting her feedback.

- Tatsu Aoki. YES! We have contact! This man is the epitome of Asian American Chicago Arts. I will devote a post to him and his work in the near future. Thank you sir! Look forward to interviewing you.

- Apple, Anida, and all the YAWP!ers are stirring up some words about "That Asian Thing." Apple will be providing a special spoken word piece for this film. Thank you for your time and powerful flowetry.

- All you readers and onlookers. Thanks for leaving me comments, emails, and tips on events happening in Chicago. I appreciate all the looking out and hope to make the best movie that can even come close to how strong the Asian American community is here in the Windy City. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

No comments: