That Asian Thing Website

Welcome to "That Asian Thing" News! Check here often to find out what's going on with the documentary, production notes, ideas, viewings, and random thought releases from the director. Don't forget to click on the links to find other realms of "That Asian Thing." Thank you for coming and keep up the support!

"Those Asian Goodies"


**click on the shirts**

Yahoo Listserv

Subscribe to thatasianthing
Powered by movies.groups.yahoo.com

January 25, 2006

A Stirrrrring Friday Night!

Yes my friends, after many of you know-of's have asked me if I've had the pleasure of getting in touch with Stir Friday Night....you can betch'er bottom dollar that the "Asian Thing" has documented their second to last show here in Chicago. Thanks to Jennifer Liu of the Stir Friday Night crew, me and the Wayne were able to record a show in front of a packed house. And not only that (dare I say again...NOT ONLY THAT!...), we will be holding an interview session sometime in February with a couple of the cast members themselves.



The show, Yellow, was a very good mix of sketches pertaining to quick Vaudville-like joke telling, quirky singing and dancing, hilarious scenes and relationship situations, ALL dealing with Asian Americans. Stir Friday Night has been around for 10 years - using comedy as their tool to teach people of Asian American stereotypes and myths in the pursuit to disperse them.

I know what some of you are thinking - but, but, but Jiggy Boy...weren't you going to write up a show like this for stage? Well kiddies, who's to say that I can't? People can always hit up the same topics for comedy. It's just a matter of how you approach it and how you deliver the goods. I think I have more of a "dramedy" in my head as I've been jotting down my sketches along this documentary ride.

ANYHOO, I look forward to sitting down with the masterminds behind the show. I'd like to see how their writing process for their sketches went and what messages they had hoped to convey. I'm also interested in their feedback as actors in the theater community here in Chicago - how difficult it is to get gigs where the casting call people weren't thinking of filling a role with an Asian person. Hey - it can happen. I'm sure someone out there can comply.

Sign up for the Stir Friday Night newsletter on their website and be sure to catch their show when it comes around. DO IT!

No comments: