That Asian Thing Website

Welcome to "That Asian Thing" News! Check here often to find out what's going on with the documentary, production notes, ideas, viewings, and random thought releases from the director. Don't forget to click on the links to find other realms of "That Asian Thing." Thank you for coming and keep up the support!

"Those Asian Goodies"


**click on the shirts**

Yahoo Listserv

Subscribe to thatasianthing
Powered by movies.groups.yahoo.com

January 02, 2006

HOLIDAY HIATUS IS OVER!

Fellow "That Asian Thing" followers,

My deepest apologies for being completely missing in action for the past couple of weeks. I did the family thing over the holiday season and time had become limited, therefore updating was scarce. However, things were still in the mix and now that the holiday chaos is out of the way, let's bust out this documentary!! Here's what we got going:

-the Wayne and I had the pleasure of getting insight from the director of Stir-Friday Night's current production, Yellow! - Mr. Brian Posen. Brian is also the executive producer/founder of Chicago Sketchfest (a sketch comedy festival held over a 2 week span featuring over 100 events). He has worked with many comedy sketch groups and also teaches at the Second City Training Center. With a slew of experience and theatrical background, he was able to give us his thoughts on how comedy can be conveyed to pass on a message to people. Mr. Posen also talked about how Asian American performers can attempt to make a bigger impact, especially in the theater community -- basically good shows make people pass on good comments and through word of mouth, more non-Asians would likely turn up to see what the hype is all about. Being a writer myself, I talked about problems that I've come across in writing specific Asian American sketches and how premises need to be more relatable for audiences to laugh at. We dug deep into this and even came to mind stumpers every now and then, but that's what I love about documentaries -- how raw emotions, thoughts, and ideas come out of nowhere. I would like to thank him for his time (especially with Sketchfest coming up soon) and look forward to working with him in the future again. Thanks Bri!

-I.B.U. (Inspired By U) is an Asian American R&B group hailing from Chicago. They are winners of multiple music festivals and have performed across the nation. Formed in 2001, this group is still making their name more prominant in the music industry. I am in the mix of getting together with them and their management to get an insight on the music industry and how Asian Americans are slowly solidifying a face within mainstream music. I hope to touch on any struggles that they may have faced thus far and how non-Asians have perceived them until hearing their talent. I think we can also get an accapella performance on tape too, which I'm psyched for. I love the performance footages! I also look forward to hearing from their management and how the music industry works with "looks" to sell to the public - if the Asian American "thing" helps, doesn't help, or may not even play a roll at all. There should be some great footage in this one.

-Laura Kina is an artist and an Assistant Professor at DePaul University. Her art conveys thought of Asian American identity. Going along with this train of thought, I would like to dip into identity problems that Asian Americans have and what ways we can go about to be more aggressive. Through our emails, she has already thrown out questions of what exactley is "Asian American culture" and what is "mainstream American culture?" Two things that I hope to find answers to (or come close to) along the way of my documentary. She has also touched upon issues of Power and Privilege behind my question of impact or influence. I feel that she will be very fruitful and look forward to sitting down with her to get her words of wisdom.

-Over the break, I received some comedy footage from Mark Britten a.k.a. the Chinaman. His comedy styling comes strong with musical inspiration but he definitely touches on his Asian American heritage. What's wrong with a Chinese guy listening to country music, huh? But seriously, his stand-up is full of music, jokes, and thoughts on being half Asian. I wanted to thank him for his footage and wish him luck on his endevours. I hope we may be able to meet in the future concerning my documentary. Otherwise, thanks Chinaman! Where mah ninjas at?!? HOLLLLLA!!

That's good for now. Don't want you all to spoil your dinner with all this dessert! Things are lookin good and hopefully this Asian Thing will be on lockdown by midyear. Thank you to all the people that have helped me in any way, shape, or form - trust me, you got your little credit at the end of the movie. Thanks!! ...and before I go - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!

No comments: